So some of my lady friends ask me how I do my skin care and repair routine and I show them the actual products and I show you here in my blog via my previous two entries (here and here) what I use and how I use them. But just in case you still want more clarifications, here are my rules of thumb in undergoing my ritual:
- Be gentle on your face. No harsh pulling or scrubbing. I do exfoliate just to gently take off dead skin cells about twice a week, but that’s all. All that tugging and pulling is harmful for skin that isn’t as elastic as it used to be.
- Which leads to patting. When you dry your skin with a towel, don’t scrub, just pat the towel onto your face. Even when applying the creams, do a circular massage or gently rub upwards. Remember, gravity isn’t as forgivng as the days of youth.
- Your ampoules, emulsions, moisturizers are applied from the thinnest consistency to the thickest. And wait till the previous formulation is absorbed and dry before applying the next one. Massage and pat. Your skin may not be as absorbent at first but as you go on, day by day, you will notice that it doesn’t take that long for your skin to absorb the creams anymore. Patience is a virtue.
- Research on the product, read the ingredients. If and when you can, do a test on the products on the underside of your jawline or on the inside of your arm to make sure you won’t react harshly to the products. I am fortunate to not have a big history of allergies on anything growing up, but if you do, do a test first. Red spots are not flattering on any type of skin.
- And finally, I know that it looks like it takes so much of your time to go through this routine but consider this ritual time, your own “me” time. I’ve gotten to the point where I sometimes plan on some things for myself, while i go through my skin care. Or think of it as your gift to yourself. Your regiment doesn’t have to be this long, but just take a few minutes from your busy day to clean, tone and moisturize. Once you get to feel a more supple facial skin or you see your skin color even out or the pimples or white and blackheads seem to lessen or vanish, you know you’re doing yourself a big favor.
- Face the facts. Your skin will never be the same as that of a younger woman in her 20s or 30s. That’s life. But if you can be able to diminish the appearance of wrinkles and your skin appears to have a glow, even just for a bit, take it and own that! You are a woman who has experienced life and there is so much more ahead of you. You thank your divine God for every day He gives you the gift of a morning and you live that day. You still have so much more to offer the world. Take pride in that fact!
Till next post 🙂